Operatic Repertoire, 1995–2009
Peabody Chamber Opera
Complete productions calling for reduced orchestra (not usually in a pit). Presented with costumes, make-up, and simple scenery and lighting, often in off-campus locations. Special concentration on pre-classical opera and contemporary works. Several performances of each production, often with more than one cast. All sung in the original language.
- PASTORALE & MASQUE [Monteverdi: Tirsi e Clori; Charpentier: Actéon; Purcell: Masque in Dioclesian]; in Walters Art Gallery
- Benjamin Britten: The Turn of the Screw
- THE SURPRISES OF LOVE [Rameau: Adonis and Anacréon, Charpentier: Le mariage forcé]; in Walters Art Gallery
- MYSTERY THEATRE OF LOVE AND DEATH [Holst: Savitri; Kam Morrill: Perlimplin (deuxième); Harbison: Full Moon in March]; at Theatre Project
- Marc-Antoine Charpentier: Les arts florissants
- Henry Purcell: Dido and Aeneas; both in the Walters Art Gallery
- Henry Purcell: Masque in Timon of Athens (together with the final acts of Monteverdi’s L’incoronazione di Poppea and Elizabeth-Claude Jacquet de la Guerre’s Céphale et Procris)
- Bizet/Carrière/Brook: La tragédie de Carmen; at Theatre Project
- Vaughan-Williams: Riders to the Sea (with reduced orchestra, as part of Opera Potpourri program)
- PASTORALE & MASQUE [Monteverdi: Tirsi e Clori; Charpentier: Actéon; Purcell: Masque in Dioclesian]
- Benjamin Britten: The Rape of Lucretia; at Theatre Project
The Peabody Opera Workshop also occasionally presents complete one-act operas with piano accompaniment, such as Suor Angelica, L’enfant et les sortilèges, Les malheurs d’Orphée, and Riders to the Sea. All were sung in their original languages and fully staged, albeit with minimal decor. Sometimes also the baroque potpourri programs (such as Handel’s Heroes in 2005) are presented with reduced orchestral accompaniment. In general, though, the Opera Workshop presents programs of operatic scenes each semester with piano, and also numerous short operatic premieres as part of the Opera Études program in alternate years.
Opera Theatre repertoire Opera at Peabody home